, ,

This week we took it pretty easy, partly because of the torrential rain mid-week and but the kibosh on any riding for a few days and left the footing soggy, and partly because we’re going to be ramping up for MAEF the next two weeks, and I wanted us in a good place to start.

Normally Cally gets the day after shows off, but all we did last weekend was two flat classes (that barely even included cantering, though the pro did get a great photo of that!).

Looking so fancy though!

Since that was all we did, though, I decided that she could do some work on Monday, especially since it was gorgeous.  So I went out a little later than usual, so that all the horses were in, and used the field for some hill work, and trotting and cantering around and having fun.

Wednesday I was supposed to have a lesson, but that got rained out pretty definitively.  But we made good use of the day by tackling the one difficult task that stood between us and MAEF–clipping Cally’s ears.  It took two of us, ace, and a twitch, but it got done, and no one (human or equine!) got hurt in the process.

Nice trimmed ear!

I’m not sure why she’s so great about letting you clip everywhere else, but is so freaky about her ears. I’m guessing she must have been ear twitched at some point, but she’s generally fine about you touching them with a brush, and we were using quiet clippers.  It’s a fight I’ve never bothered having with her, because we’ve always been doing smaller shows where it didn’t matter, and eventing/dressage people don’t seem to bother with it anyway.  But for MAEF, which is a pretty big-deal indoor Eq finals situation, they needed clipped.  I think since we also have some bigger goals in line for next year, the better plan may be to have the vet sedate her with something a little stronger, like dorm, when he’s out for Coggins/spring shots, and clip them then, so we’ll be good to go for the rest of the year.  I’m hoping that we can get by with doing them once or twice a year, and she’ll eventually figure out it’s not a big deal.

After that, I suppose I should have expected a little sass from her.  She was actually pretty good on Friday, when I just lightly hacked her around, but then Saturday the footing in the bigger, unfenced outdoor was looking pretty good, so I decided to go pop over some jumps in there, since we hadn’t really jumped in a while, and she’d warmed up so nicely.  Yeah, that was a mistake, because she was super sassy, wanting to GO and totally forgetting anything about half-halts or listening to the person on her.  So we made a lot of circles, trotted quite a few things, and concentrated on relaxing, and eventually ended on a very polite note.

Sunday was more relaxing.  I initially wasn’t going to go out, but since it was getting dark so depressingly early, we decided to stop on the way home from the boat, since it’s really not out of the way now.  I brushed her off, and Daisy A Dog was acting like a jealous whiny monster, so I made the super intelligent call to see how she’d be for us all to go out for a little walk around the farm.  Surprisingly good, actually, once we all got moving.

That actually went really nicely, and it was a lovely twilight mosey around the farm.

This week things ramp back up again.  Yesterday I put on the dressage saddle and we did some real flatwork, with a lot of sitting trot, leg yields, turns on the forehand and haunches, and transitions.  Since she was then so good, we popped over a few crossrails, in the dressage saddle.  It can be done, but I really don’t recommend it as a top choice, because it feels really awkward!  Then I helped Holly set the new course, for what promises to be a twisty, turny, challenging lesson on Wednesday!