, , , , ,

Things haven’t gone so swimmingly lately.  The lost hind shoe seemed to be solved for about 24 hours, when a barnmate’s farrier pulled her other hind, but before I could even get out again, I got a call that she’d pulled a front shoe.  Peachy.  The ground was soft, and she was due for the farrier on Thursday, so I figured she could deal with it, and let her just be the One Shoe Wonder for the week it would be that way.  Then Saturday, after I’d been out to see her and the leg seemed to be doing well, I got a call a few hours later that it looked like she’d either banged it or gotten kicked again, and the vet had been called.  So back out to the barn I went, and Cally got some happy drugs (she’s a cheap drunk) while the vet cleaned it and flushed it out.

I’ll just doze here while you fix me up….

Then, my vet gave her a shot of antibiotics (gentocin, I think, it’s rather blurry now!) followed by a shot of penicillin, which she’s had quite a few times before with no problems.  Vet turned to pick something up, and Cally threw her head up and took a wonky step sideways, and Vet just hollered “Procaine!  Get her in the stall and get out!” and went running up the aisle to her truck.  Cally is such a good horse, she followed me right across the aisle into her stall (never have I been more thankful she lives right across from the grooming stall!!) and got against the nice thick plaster outer wall of the barn, and managed to stay upright.  If you’ve never seen a reaction to procaine, I hope you never do, because it was the most terrifying thing I’ve ever seen, and I say that as someone who watched their horse’s colic surgery.  Vet came sprinting back with a syringe full of steriods, but Cally wasn’t letting her get anywhere near her…so I went back into the stall with a peppermint, and after a few seconds, she let me touch her and get ahold of her.  The trembling stopped pretty quickly once the steriods were on board, but I’m pretty sure my heart was racing well into the next day!  We got her all patched up on the leg front, and kept an eye on her for a bit, and she seemed fine, so I crossed my fingers and left for the night.

Sunday I spend the day running the In Gate for the derby at Loch Moy.  It was cold, but a lot of fun, as I got to chat with people and watch horses go around the first part of the course.  I’d hoped to be able to get Cally out to it, but for obvious reasons, that didn’t happen.  After the show, I stopped by the barn to check on the leg, which was looking better, and happily noted that Cally seemed to worse for her experience the day prior.  As I was leaving, yet more snow was starting to fall.

By today, her leg was looking really good, with the wound really starting to close up nicely under the wrap, even if she’s super angry with me for having to pull elastikon off of her.  (Believe me, Cally, I’d love to not be spending money on elastikon, either!)  And it was finally time  for a farrier visit!  I caught her farrier before he saw her, and warned him he might be a little WTF when he saw her.  Explaining she had one shoe, he gave me a confused look and asked if she lost a front or a hind.  I clarified, no, one shoe total, and he just laughed.  I’m glad he’s got a good sense of humor!  After discussing her workload and how she’s been lately, and the ground conditions, we decided to only go with fronts this time around.  She’d been in fronts only for a while, then we put hinds on last summer when the ground got hard and she got a quarter crack; we’d probably have pulled them for winter if that wasn’t still growing out.  The quarter crack is grown out, and the ground is so soft, and she’s doing so little, that she’ll be fine without them for a cycle or two.  To fix the spot where she lost a shoe up front, though, required a little special treatment, and she got some epoxy and filler in the hole the old toe clip pulled out.  It was looking pretty good until she was done, though!

Shiny fixed foot!

Since she practically strutted away from the farrier, I decided to get on and see how she felt.  To say she was a bit up on this sunny, beautiful first day of spring was is a bit of an understatement; she’d been cooped in her stall, but was finally feeling good, and was ready to GO!  So we walked, a lot.  Until she was feeling at least a little relaxed and not ready to leap into a gallop when I closed my leg.  The trot was a bit giraffey, but that settled down, too, even if it was a little more forward than I’d like.  Then I figured what the hey, she has to blow off some steam, and I’d rather she did it in the safety of the ring, so I picked up a canter, got in a half seat, and just let her make a few big circles.  It wasn’t as quick or exciting as I thought it would be, but she had no interest in stopping!  She was good and snorty when we were done, but we went back to walking, and I appreciated the nice swingy back, so we eventually trotted a bit more.  Still way more forward than necessary, but sound, Sound, SOUND! Hopefully we’ll get to do a lesson next week, and work on relaxing and remembering how to bend properly.

Hopefully this glorious day on the arrival of spring marks a new start to our lease on life for the season, and we’ll have better luck for the rest of the year!